Monday, January 31, 2011

Out in the Streets

Today was my first day on the streets by myself…I want my restroom back! Lol. I know I know, I said I wasn’t going to like restrooms, but apparently I lied. Restrooms are so flippin’ easy compared to streets. The only good thing about streets is the guest interaction. I love talking to people! And pin trading with the guest is so much fun, especially the kids.
So this morning I clocked in and got my assignment. When you’re on streets you either get a zone or an assignment. So mine said to go pick the planters until a certain time. So by the time walked all the way to Splash to pick the planters, it was time for me to go back and get my next assignment. And this time it told me to take over Pecos zone and give some lady her break. I get on the radio and try to call her and what do you know, I can’t get a hold of her. So I have to go find someone to help me…again. I found this really nice guy and together we walked all over the place to find this lady and come to find out her radio wasn’t even turned on. So I take the radio and I’m on my own to try to figure out what to do in this zone. And usually in the CDS break rooms they have what we call “grab and go’s” that tell us what trash cans are in what zones. But of course they didn’t have one for Pecos! So I had to try to figure it out myself. Pecos zone is the area surrounding the Pecos Bill’s restaurant. So I was pulling trash when one of my coordinators came up to me and was like you’re doing parade clean up, we tried to contact you. I look down and my radio is off. I’m like great, I have a stupid radio that doesn’t work. So I go back stage to get ready for parade clean up. It was pretty cool because I got to see the floats and the characters getting ready for the parade. The Chilean miners were in Disney today. They were the grand marshals in the parade. So after parade clean up, I went back to my zone and eventually got a call on the radio saying that someone had my break and to meet them in front of the popcorn stand. I dump my trash down the stupid AVAC and rushed to the cart. I waited there for 15 minutes and no one ever showed up. So I went back to pulling trash because I didn’t want to get in trouble for not doing anything. After about 30 minutes someone called me again with the same message and this time they actually showed up. So I took my 15 minute break an hour late. After my break I got another assignment and it told me to got sweep pop corn over by Big Thunder for 15 minutes. So I did. And then I was told to take over Big Thunder which is like the worse zone. And of course I would get his on my first day. Just like yesterday. So I started pulling trash and this is where my first cute kid story comes into play. I was sweeping pop corn and this gentleman came up and asked me how to get to Fantasy land. He had two little boys in a stroller with him. One was about 1 and the other one couldn’t be any older than 3. Well after the 3 year old asked me what I was doing. I told him I was cleaning and he looked at me and said “you’re doing a great job cleaning”. He put the biggest smile on my face. And then the dad told me he gave me credit for being so sweet and having a smile on my face while dealing with trash. And then as they were walking away the little boy looked back at me and told me to have a good day. It was the cutest thing ever. Also while I was I was in Big Thunder Maria came and saw me! She pin traded with me and asked me directions to ridiculous places just so she could talk to me. lol. I was so glad she came and saw me. It made my day. Then I was deployed back to Pecos where I finished out my night. I didn’t have to pull trash right away because the guy before me was awesome and did it right before I showed up. So I just got to walk around and sweep and talk to people. Then the Main Street Electrical parade came through. I probably should have been closing my cans, but instead I watched the parade. Lol. I love the Electrical parade! It’s amazing. After the parade I started to close my cans, but then realized it was time for me to clock out. I kind of panicked because I had only done like 4 out of 17 cans. But I went ahead and clocked out because if you don’t clock out on time you get a point on your record. (Three points is a reprimand and when you get four reprimands you get terminated). So I’m kind of worried about not closing my zone right. But I really didn’t have time even if I would of started during the parade. Because the parade didn’t end until and the park closed at 8 and that’s the same time I got off. So I blame it on the scheduling. Lol. But I did get to catch the first part of Wishes before I had to go backstage. I love the Wishes theme song!
Tomorrow I work in the streets. Which means I actually have a closing shift not a weird mid shift. So it should go smoother tomorrow. I guess we’ll see.

2 comments:

  1. Aww that kid is so sweet and it's moments like that that make your whole job worthwhile. Sounds like your having fun. I'm working our front desk and missed a step because of the snow drifts. Jealous of the weather you are having. Have an AWESOME day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are enjoying beautiful weather in Florida. We are watching the blizzard outside while I'm dealing with two sickies - Kevin has the flu and Colten has RSV. Boo! :(

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete