Thursday, August 22, 2013

Yep...I Like It


So I freaking love my job. Today was sooo much better than yesterday. I didn’t pass out! Yay! I enjoyed training much more today while feeling better. The first thing we did today was walk the trail before it opened which was awesome. It was beautiful and the weather was perfect. We started in the Aviary since we didn’t get to do it yesterday. We saw so many birds that you usually don’t see ever. I’m not much of a bird person, but I think Aviary is going to be one of my favorite positions. And I did really well naming most of the birds. Lol. So then when the trail actually opened we went through some of the positions. We first did what we call Viewing Blind. This is where the Okapi and the Yellow Duiker are. The Okapis are beautiful. So we stood there and I got to interact with the guest and put my animal facts to the test. It was super nerve racking at first just because it’s my first time interacting and I just learned the information the day before and Carol, my trainer, is watching me. But I did ok. Then we picked up Forest Entrance which is the position at the front of the trail where people enter. This is one of my favorites because you don’t have to remember animal facts and there is still a lot of guest interaction and you get to carry the Wilderness Explorer bag! Lol. It’s one of the best parts of the job. The kids are so excited when they get to receive a badge. Then after those positions we went over more animal facts and spent sometime inside. Then we went back out to the trail to go over more positions. We did Safi River which is where the Hippo is. My favorite part about this position is that the guests ask if it’s a real hippo. Lol. Nope, it’s just a 4,000 pound 11 foot long statue. Seriously  people, every other animal on the trail is real why wouldn’t this one be? Lol.

But I did have the cutest interaction with a little girl at Safi. She came up to me and said, “Hey your name is Megan, so is mine. But I spell it different”. She was so precious and wanted to talk about everything. We talked about her pins and the fish in the tank and how she plays a game at home that has a hippo and on and on and on. It was super cute.

Then we did the Valley position. Again one of my favorites because this is the gorillas. It’s super hot, but you get a Wilderness bag! Lol. Then we had lunch and more fun facts. And picked up Aviary. (Again another bag). I really like this one because the guests don’t see most of the birds so it’s a lot of fun to point them out. And some of these birds are so interesting. Then we ended the day with more facts. Lol.
So overall I’m loving the job. It’s high interaction with guest while providing animal facts about some of the neatest animals. It’s really awesome. I have three more days of training and then my assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment