Sunday, September 8, 2013

I know, I'm a Horrible Person...


Ok sooo…I’ve been a horrible blogger lately, I know. Partly because I’ve been pretty busy and also because I’m lazy. Lol.

I decided that since every day at work is pretty much the same (clock in, position, rotation, break, position, rotation, clock out) I would just blog at the end of my week with highlights from work and then at the end of my “weekend” with events from my days off. We’ll see how that goes. It obviously did not work this last week. lol. And my week isn’t technically over until tomorrow, but I’m really behind and people have been bugging me to post something. Lol. And since none of the roommates are home and I’m just sitting on the couch watching Harry Potter, I though I could multi-task.

So…work has been great. I still love it. Some days are better than others. It usually depends on which positions I end up getting. And of course I close almost every night. Today and yesterday I actually got off at 5:30 and that was awesome. I actually got off at 4:30 yesterday because I put in for an ER (early release). I realized I should have put in one for 3:30 after about the fourth person asked me if I needed a 103 (restroom break) within one hour. We were way over staffed yesterday. You also know we’re over staffed when you get the position “Research Door”. I got this for the first hour of my shift yesterday. With this position you literally stand there and hold the door for people. And yes, I did it for an hour! Lol.

So I see and talk to hundreds of people everyday and get asked the stupidest, most ridiculous things ever. I’ve been asked if the Naked Mole Rats are dead (“yes, we display dead animals at Disney”….really people?!). While in Gorilla Valley I got asked if we carry stun guns or tasers (um…no!). She just couldn’t believe that we didn’t carry some kind of protection no matter how much I tried to reassure her that the animals can’t escape. (Even though I did have a very vivid dream last night that the bachelor group did get out of their habitat). Lol. Oh and I had a guest tell me that there is no way there could be a male gorilla in the family group because the males eat the babies…um no they don’t. It’s really hard not to laugh in people’s faces sometimes. Lol.

So I was in Savannah the other day with the Meerkats and I had this older couple come up and talk to me. I don’t know how we got on the subject, but the gentleman asked me if I had seen the Life of Pi yet. Well I haven’t. He kept going on about how amazing it was and how there was so much more to the movie than meets the eye. He wanted so desperately to tell me some secret meaning the movie had in it, but he didn’t want to ruin the movie for me. So he asked me if I had a piece of paper (and I did, I carry a notebook in my pocket so I can write things down that I need to remember) and he wrote down this secret meaning and made me promise I wouldn’t open it until I saw the movie. Lol. So it’s folded up in my drawer and no I haven’t opened it. I can’t! lol. So I need to obviously rent the movie and watch it.

So on top of Entrance and Birds, I really like the Gorilla positions. They’re just so amazing! Today I was in Outpost (where you can view the Family behind the glass) and Lilly our three year old was sooo active! Watching her play is so much fun. I HATE Rehab position…people just ignore you and it’s annoying.

Oh I did finally get my pin lanyard for work! So last program when I got my work lanyard I had to meet with this certain person and sign this paper and promise I would give it back. Well this time I literally walked in the office said I needed a lanyard and they threw it to me across the room. Lol. No certain person or signing anything. I was like ok that was easy. lol. But you know me, I love pin trading! But I feel like there aren’t many pin traders at Animal Kingdom compared to Magic Kingdom. Which I guess makes the kids I do trade with that much more special J

So it’s still raining…EVERY day. And I still don’t have a pouch for my rain gear. So I still get drench all the time. It’s ridiculous. And I have NEVER heard thunder like I do hear. The storms are always right over the park. We go 101 at least every other day. We went down at 3:30 the other day and never went back up. Which was kind of nice. A group of us just chilled in the research center until it was time to go. Lol. And again…people are stupid! I had to close that night so I ended up at entrance with Anne Marie until we could go down to the Village. We stood there and told people who came off of Safari that we we’re down due to weather and that everything is going to be over the bridge (stroller, restaurants, shelter). No matter how we said it people still came up to us asking if we we’re open or where the strollers were…lol.

I did make a magical moment for a family the other day. I was in Valley and it was almost 5:00 (the time they put the bachelors up). So I’m talking to this family and they’re fixing to walk off, but I told them if they could wait about five minutes they’d be able to see one of our males up close when the keeper throws food to him. They we’re so thrilled. It was a lot of fun to see them get excited about that.

I was at Viewing Blind the other day with the Okapi and saw one the females get shocked because she got too close to the front. That was interesting. I was just glad there were no guests around. I really didn’t want to explain that. There was also an owl loose for two days from the Flights of Wonder show. I don’t really know how she got away, but I felt bad for the Flights of Wonder staff because they had to just stand there and watch her until she decided to come down. They followed her every time she flew to a different tree, they had to stay from sun up to sun down, and just stand there. Lol. I guess she finally came down because they weren’t out today.

Omg I witnessed one of the rudest guest I’ve ever seen yesterday. I was at Outpost and thia lady came up and she was in a motor chair and after looking at her I realized she was only in it because she was overweight and obviously lazy. That just irked me. So I’m standing there fairly close to this lady when another lady came up to ask me a question. Well the fat lady (sorry for my bluntness, but she made me mad) had her camera out and the other lady stepped in front of her to talk to me. Well instead of ROLLING herself around this lady (where she would get a better picture anyway) she GRABBED the lady and said “you’re in my way”. While the lady was still talking to me! I was so shocked I didn’t know what to do. And she did this to like two other people. I was so angry! People amaze me sometimes.

And then you have the guests that make the rude ones worth it. I love when people see my name tag and actually use my name. It just makes the interactions more personal. They other day I was in Research and we have a Sand Boa that you can never see because she’s constantly buried and this one guest asked if I could take it out and of course I said no, even if I was allowed. Lol. So when he was leaving I heard him talking to his family and he said “There’s a snake in there, but Megan won’t take it out for us”. We both just laughed. And then there are the guests who say hi to you using your name or thank you using your name. It’s just a neat thing that I enjoy. Lol.

So like I said, I see hundreds of people every day from every walk of life and every corner of the country. I was talking to a co-worker today about how I’m sure I talk to more people who don’t speak English than guests that do on a daily basis. It’s kind of ridiculous. But anyway…anyone who knows me knows I have a huge heart and passion for children with special needs. And I love this job because I get to see them all the time. I’ve seen multiple Down syndrome kids who just melt my heart and I got see a little girl (who couldn’t be older than three) at Outpost the other day who had I’m guessing a trachea or the like around her neck so she couldn’t talk. But when her dad said “what does a Gorilla say” she beat her chest like a Gorilla. It was the most precious thing I have ever seen! With seeing these kids and talking to Ann Marie (the lady I close with most of the time and has been with the company for years) I’ve really been thinking about what I want to do after the program. And I’ve thought A LOT about going back to school for Special Ed. Like I’ve been researching schools. But I still don’t know. I freaking hate school and don’t want to go back, but I know if I want to work with these kids that’s what I’m going to have to do…..

Anyway…back to work. Lol. I did receive a Great Service Fanatic card the other day! Woo Hoo. These are cards other cast members can write for you when they see you going above and beyond. And then it’s put in drawing for different prizes. I was at Forest Entrance the other day and the stroller person form Safari came up to me and said that a guest had pulled her aside and told her how welcoming and kind I was. So that was super awesome. I have it pinned on my bulletin board in my room. Which is slowly but surely filing up. I got a picture drawn by Cayden and a picture from grandma of Aunt Christie, Uncle Larry, and me from when we went to the gulf when we stayed with them. I love it. I also got to skype mom the other night and she was keeping Cayden and Jacob for the night. I miss my nephews so much so I was super happy to see their sweet faces. The first thing Cayden asked me was “where’s Mickey Mouse”? It was super cute.

I was finally added to the Pangani group on facebook! We have our own group where people can find shifts or pick up shifts or trade shifts. I REALLY wanted to find someone to take my Friday the 13th shift because Hollywood Studios is having a Villians party and I really wanted to go. I mean I could still go if I was working because I get off at 6:30, but it would just be better if I wasn’t working at all. Well once I was added to the group it was super easy to find someone to take it! There are people who are willing to take shifts all the time. So I’m off Friday!!! Woo hoo! I think there are two other roommates off that day as well so I won’t have to go alone. I’m sooo excited!

So my “weekend” this past week was pretty uneventful. I went to Downtown Disney to see a movie, but once I got there I really didn’t want to go by myself so I just got dinner and went back home. Lol. Then I went to Walmart on Tuesday and spent freaking $60 on junk food. Lol. So I’ve banned myself from grocery shopping for at least two weeks. And then of course we went to Senior Frogs Tuesday night. (Ok so I went to Senior Frogs with a co-worker on Friday night and it was ridiculous. We were the youngest ones there and it was just weird. So I’m just going to stick to Tuesday nights. Lol.) Then we picked up our Maingates on Wednesday. Yay! So we can get into the parks again. Oh we also had inspections on Wednesday.

So we knew inspections were coming up, but they didn’t give us a specific date. So we had been cleaning and trying to keep the apartment some what tidy. Which is hard with six girls. So Wednesday Karie and I were dead asleep (yes, at noon) when Lynn comes charging into our room yelling “they’re down stairs”! So we jump up and I start scrubbing the toilet and Michelle is in the kitchen scrambling to put everything up and we just looked like a bunch of chickens with our heads cut off. So we’re all sitting on the couch when they bang on our door. And they came in and looked through every room and made a bunch of noise by drilling our fire extinguisher to the wall. And all the sudden the guy asked “who’s Michelle”? And she raised her hand and he was like “you lost your bra”? And we all just look at each other like what? And Apparently Lynn (the jokester of the house) had written on the white board “I lost my bra –Michelle”. Omg…it was the most hilarious thing ever. Michelle was so embarrassed. Lol. But we passed! And instead of giving up cookies like my last program we got peanut butter crackers :/ really?? We clean our butts off and get crackers? Whatever….

Tomorrow is my Friday! I’m closing so I’m off at 6:30. I’m determined to go to a park soon.

Ok so I’m going to try to not wait so long to blog because it’s overwhelming when I do! Lol.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up. I put a little package in the mail for you today. :) Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete